Tuesday, 3 March 2015

Hi,

Welcome to my new blog! I started learning Unity about 4 months back from a complete beginners level, the only coding experience I had before was some rudimentary powershell scripting. I started by making a couple of tutorial games to learn the basics and now I am going to dive in head first and attempt to make a game. I have no Idea how to make a game so this will be a massive learning process for me and I will document my journey as much as I can on this blog.

First things first I am going to make a game similar to puzzle quest but with freedom on the world map. So in other words a turn based rpg where battles are won or lost by defeating your enemy in a match 3 puzzle duel. The player will have freedom to explore in the game world unlike similar games that are on rails. and when the player makes contact with an enemy they will open the battle scene where the hero will battle the enemy in a match 3 contest.

I have no title for the game as of yet my working title is 8-bit RPG (I am sure there is already a game with this name). The game takes place in 2D space that is made to look 3D. The art style will be pixel art (art is a stretch I am no artist!).



My progress so far:

Character:

-Created basic sprites and walking animations. (Not final designs just concepts for now)
-Character controller script; move character in game world in four compass directions and speed. Script also controls animation.
-Raycast script: Detects collisions with game objects. When raycast detects collision with objects with tag movement is disabled in that direction. When raycast detects collision with enemy Battle scene is loaded.

Game World:

-Made various tiles to make a small test area of grassed area trees and water to create impassible
area. (Not final designs just concepts for now)
- Static enemy sprites to test battle scene switch.

Match 3 Battle Scene:

-Downloaded 3 different match 3 frameworks from the unity store to get an Idea of how to implement a match 3 game.
-using one of the match 3 frameworks as a template for the Battle Scene(I will edit it to my needs later).


That's it so far I will post what I am currently working on and some of my thoughts later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment